WEkEO - DIAS
WEkEO is one of the 5 Copernicus DIAS (Data and Information Access Services). The overarching objective of DIAS is to enhance access to Copernicus data and information for further use in an efficient computing environment implementing the paradigm of “bringing the user to the data”, as one condition for unlocking the potential value of Copernicus for innovation, science, new business, implementation of public policies and economic growth.
Considering the well-structured user communities and the strong relationship existing between EUMETSAT, Mercator-Océan and ECMWF, Copernicus ClimateChange Service, the organisations have joined their efforts to implement one instance of DIAS in partnership, namely WEkEO. WEkEO is the service for marine environmental data, virtual environments for data processing, and skilled user support. WEkEO has a public and free part for discovery and access to data and data products, while it also has a commercial part with various analysis applications and cloud space.
The Data and Information Access Services (DIAS) WEkEO service for marine and climate domains. The DIAS platforms are built to facilitate and standardise access to data. Funded by European Commission, the DIAS are five cloud-based platforms providing centralised access to Copernicus data and information, as well as to processing tools. All DIAS platforms provide access to Copernicus Sentinel data, as well as to the information products from Copernicus’ six operational services, together with cloud-based tools (open source and/or on a pay-per-use basis).COPERNICUS is progressing with the development of its DIAS whereby CMEMS (led by Mercator Ocean International) and ECMWF work together in the DIAS-WEkEO service for marine and climate domains. WEkEO will offer discovery and access services for Sentinel data and forecast & data products from CMEMS and ECMWF, and also cloud computing facilities for analysing satellite images. Thanks to a single access point for the entire Copernicus data and information, DIAS allows the users to develop and host their own applications in the cloud, while removing the need to download bulky files from several access points and process them locally.
Function in Blue-Cloud
- Multi-Source viewer (free access): Viewer able to present Satellite Imagery, in-situ data, and model-based data. Capability to handle information from different height and depth layers, and information in changing in time (past-present-future), from model. Data discovery is enabled by the connection of the viewer to WEkEO Catalogue, enabling browsing and selection of datasets and their associated metadata.
- Access to information pages (free access): Tutorials, wiki, forums.
- Access to the WEkEO helpdesk (free access).
- Access to Jupyter Notebooks (free access): provide computing resources and a virtual environment for launching processing on data.
- Build and deploy your own front office and hosted processing (with subscription).
- Access to VM catalogue with preinstalled applications and optimised networking to the data storage layer (with subscription).
- Access to additional storage and cloud services for hosting your data and making it available to your tenants or to a wider audience through tailored means (with subscription).
- Access to Morpheus cloud management interfaces and manage all your tenants (with subscription).